Thursday, March 23, 2006

Montana's Governor

I saw Montana's Democrat Governor Brian Schweitzer give a speech. I was invited to the event (pulled pork) to write about what I saw. I truly was stunned by Governor Schweitzer. We don't have western politicians in Utah. Sure we have a few ranchers at the statehouse, but our big guys could really be from anywhere. It's significant our politician who has spent the least amount of time in Utah (Senator Hatch) tries to invoke a "western theme" more than anyone else. I would love to see Senator Orrin Hatch put on his "western outfit", strap on his "western accent" and stand next to Governor Schweitzer. I honestly, truly, truly believe that would be the end of the Senator's career. In a way, the Governor was wasted on a room full of Democrats. Governor Schweitzer's message is extremely powerful and compelling to western Americans. The Governor's vision of the mountain west rising to become America's primary defenders should ring true to Utahns who enthusiastically embrace the independence, freedom, optimism, and opportunity of the west. (then confusingly elect an east coast carpetbagger who actively tries to hobble the freedom and independence technology gives us) I wish Utah's voters could have Governor Schweitzer's image in their heads as they hit the polls this year.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heck - I wanted to move to Montana so he could be my govenor! I wonder if his wife and kids deck out in denim? I mean we could have "sons of Levi" and start a quasi-religious cult....oh wait! that's been done (see Eskdale, UT).

3/24/2006 11:09:00 AM  
Blogger Shawn said...

Yeah, there seems to be a good crop of democrats coming out of the West. My current governor, Dave Freudenthal, is one of those. They understand that the future of the west lies in the land itself and not whatever substance we can extract out of it. Despite this state being one of the most conservative in the union, Gov. Dave has the highest approval rating of any governor in the US today.

3/24/2006 07:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home