Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Creationism, Ribbons, Pigs, Senators

Senator Scott McCoy was interviewed yesterday on KCPW's Midday Metro (listen to the interview here). Touching on the topic of intelligent design in schools, Senator McCoy said I.D. was just another name for Creationism and that it's like putting a ribbon on a pig. If this is really the rhetoric Senator McCoy is bringing to the debate next month, that's bad. It's a first class ticket to the sideline and irrelevance. Senator Chris Buttars' poorly thought out plan can (and I believe will) be defeated, but it won't be thanks to the type of argument Senator McCoy has put forward. Rep. Urquhart has some arguments up right now written by a retired BYU science professor. They are arguments that I think will really speak to conservative legislators and help them understand that Senator Buttars' idea is foolish. One point stuck out for me: "It would create a problem where none exists. The problem would be that students would be forced to choose between intelligent design and evolution and, by extension, religion and science. This choice is not necessary and would do harm."

3 Comments:

Anonymous Senator McCoy said...

Sorry to disappoint on the rhetoric. It was a throw-away comment. I assure you that I have a lot more high-minded arguments and rhetoric ready for Sen. Buttars and my Senate colleagues. We just didn't have time in the last minute of the that show to get into those.

12/21/2005 08:46:00 AM  
Anonymous Rob said...

I.D. is an invasion of my religous freedom. I send my children to school to learn reading, writing, math, science, socialization.

I go to the church of my choice for my children to learn about God from people that share the same or simular beliefs as do my wife and I. I have made my choice were to worship and discuss God's plan as I understand it, and when my children decide the time is right then they will also choose, where to worship and learn about God; or not.

Utah was founded by people who were searching for the freedom to understand and worship God without persecution. I.D. is just another attempt by the Republicans to create propaganda to convince voters that "God" is on their side. It is nothing less than a campaign to divide our citizens and to keep them from focusing on issues that government should be responsible for.

Please; legislators, citizens, voters; give our children the best academic education that our community is capable of producing; but leave me the choice to teach my children my understanding of I.D., or creationism, not Senator's Buttars version.

12/22/2005 07:07:00 PM  
Blogger eusiea said...

Creationism, or Intelligent Design, or a Ribbon on a Pig, is about the “idea” that we as humans we are so more precious that the science is telling us we are. The symbolism that some of us is putting in our existence is making our actual daily life careless, because somehow some believe would end up in the all promised kingdom of goodness.
The genesis doesn’t give any actual explanation how we came about. It’s a metaphor, a symbol.
A concept, or a theory, that’s the question !

12/22/2005 07:42:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home