Monday, October 24, 2005

Yellow Cab And Political Irony

A commenter named Jason took me to task on my previous post on Yellow Cab, but also made a really good point. "the cab companies think that the expense of outfitting vans is too expensive. They don't realize that they don't have to have the large, multi-chair accessible transport vehicles of flex-trans. A conversion van with a lift and restraints would cost less than $10,000 on top of the vehicle cost. Also, there are federal grants for making vehicles accessible available even to businesses." Perhaps, Jason, you should bring that up with Don Winder and/or Yellow Cab. They're part of your campaign after all. Unfortunately, cab reform is nearly impossible in Salt Lake City partially thanks to Yellow Cab's heavy investing in strategic municipal election campaigns. But the City Council was successful in defending their disability ordinance. So that's good. I never said I think Janneke House is somehow anti- disabled. I'm merely pointing out what I stated in the title. She didn't do her homework on the endorsements that have been passed down to her. Most likely because it's not actually her campaign. Otherwise she surely would have seen the delicious irony in a campaign boasting "Equality for All" scheduling an event hosted by Don Winder.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

blah blah blah, rocky is the puppet master. a vote for eric is a vote for freedom. janeke is a straw man. Eric isn't the tool of the church.
stfu

10/24/2005 05:46:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All of you anonymous people think that any republican mormon is a 'tool of the church'. Way to be open minded.

Eric is mormon and he believes in it so his voting reflects his faith. I must have missed the part where that makes him a tool. I didn't realize it was a bad thing either.

Logan

10/25/2005 07:46:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah
I'm logan, I love ethan and apple pie and republican.
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

10/25/2005 01:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I do have to admit. That is funny.

Logan

10/25/2005 02:51:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Way to be open minded"

Ya, no kidding huh? The liberals want equality for all -- unless it's equality for Mormons.

Dear Liberal: There no longer exists a place for us to run away and practice our religion without offending you, so you're just gonna have to live with us!

10/25/2005 04:39:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have to admire the sheer audacity that someone can have when they adopt a persecution complex despite their organization having eithe control or influence over virtually every aspect and layer of Utah society.

If you really want to see inequality and unfair treatment try being a non-mormon seeking professional employment in this state. Somehow, despite being over qualified you always seem to lose out to the under-educated returned missionary who just coincidentally goes to the same ward as the owner/CEO/HR manager etc.

10/26/2005 06:56:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"If you really want to see inequality and unfair treatment try being a non-mormon seeking professional employment in this state. Somehow, despite being over qualified you always seem to lose out to the under-educated returned missionary who just coincidentally goes to the same ward as the owner/CEO/HR manager etc."

Good point. I have seen it before, but I think it's the exception, not the rule.

I've worked in many different job environments in Utah, and the scenario you describe is virtually non-existant when you consider pretty much any other business that's NOT operated by Larry Miller Inc. In fact, just recently I was hired by a very large international company with operations here in SLC, and I was the chosen candidate over a young RM such as the one you were describing. I only know that because I happen to know said RM who didn't get the job. In fact, I think he was not chosen BECAUSE he was an RM. He told me after his interview that he insisted upon not working on Sundays. During my interview they asked me if I would be willing to work an occasional Sunday, and I told them I didn't have a problem with it.

The kicker is that he was actually more academically qualified than me.

Go figure.

10/26/2005 10:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just ask Bishop Burton what he thinks and thats probably how Eric will vote...

10/31/2005 01:19:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home