Monday, October 03, 2005

The Senate Site

The Utah Senate is blogging. And unlike Senator Hatch's so- called "campaign blog", you can actually leave comments. But only the right kind of comments. According to Paul Rolly, a comment was deleted from a Senator Bramble post because it referred to how the Senator might pay for a potential congressional campaign. As we know full well in Utah, politician's methods of recieving and spending money is none of our business. In a juicy irony, Senator Valentine posted a description of the evils of Chinese censorship and said he hoped it was "not descriptive of the Utah Senate".

4 Comments:

Blogger The Senate Site said...

Yeah, I deleted a comment from a blog entry on the senate site.

From my perspective, the entry seemed like a personal snipe that added little to the public discussion. I hit delete with about as much thought as when I delete spam from my inbox.

Maybe I was wrong.

The question: should we keep every comment, regardless of content?

The Senate Site was built to add something meaningful to the policy-making process. I hope people will participate enthusiastically. At the same time, this is the Senate’s site. I’m not going to provide a megaphone for personal attacks.

Where do you think we should draw the line?

Say something derogatory about a Senator’s spouse – I’m going to delete it. No debate necessary. Add something informative – pro or con – about an issue under discussion and I’m going to keep it.

I’d appreciate thoughtful insight from those of you who have been blogging for a while.

Thanks.

www.senatesite.com

10/03/2005 01:33:00 PM  
Anonymous Dexter said...

Does it matter where we think the line should be drawn?
You've already decided.

But I do like the spin that equates questions about campaign finance with personal attacks on spouses.

Somebody's been learning from Sean Hannity.....

10/03/2005 04:07:00 PM  
Blogger Shawn said...

How dare the citizenry question how a candidate obtains campaign financing!

10/03/2005 04:41:00 PM  
Blogger gourmands resources said...

I just came across your blog about blogging guide and wanted to drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with the information you have posted here. I also have a web site about blogging guide so I know I'm talking about when I say your site is top-notch! Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!

11/02/2005 11:05:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home