Tuesday, October 18, 2005

A Response For The Taxpayers Association

The Utah Taxpayer Association email has also made its way to realsaltlake.org where it's being discussed. One commenter named RSL Punk spurned the Association's evidence and offered some of his own: "How's this for some anecdotal evidence: I spent $400 last year on two season tickets, $100 on a jersey, and about $6-10 per game on food. I was not, nor would I ever have been, in the habit of hopping on a jet to California to watch the footy. What would that money have paid for otherwise? My book and CD addiction. But since that's fueled mostly through Amazon (and the Utah "use tax" is voluntary), that $40 or so in sales tax I spent was "new" tax money."

1 Comments:

Blogger Reach Upward said...

Rome fell, in part, because its rulers thought that it was important to use public funds to provide circuses for the masses. I think Jarman's point is that his organization sees public funding of sports arenas in this light. While the economic development argument made up the bulk of his letter, it is really a sidelight to this main issue.

10/18/2005 11:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home