Monday, August 01, 2005

A Senator Hatch Blog? Too Little, Too Late.

I picked this article up on State of the Beehive and one paragraph just stunned me: "The Hatch campaign is taking the threat from Urquhart seriously -- and it may even have a blog of its own soon. "Our campaign is not going to be out-high-teched by anybody," Hatch campaign manager Dave Hansen said." First: It's too late, Dave. You've been out- high- teched for a long time. Second: Senator Hatch and his campaign CLEARLY do not understand the concept of candidates blogging. This has nothing to do with staying high tech or not letting anyone else be "more high tech" than you. It's about openess and accessibility. It's about interacting with voters in a way that leaves you vulnerable and therefore proves your strength as a leader and a person. Senator Hatch, we don't want your staffers to run a blog just so a Hatch blog exists. We don't want you faking like you enjoy interacting with us until the campaign is over. We don't want a high tech campaign half as much as we want our own Senator.

7 Comments:

Blogger Reach Upward said...

You are spot on about the Hatch team's techie cluelessness and Hatch inaccessibility.

8/01/2005 10:16:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good point Ethan...for Hatch to blog would be lame. First of all do you really think Orin himself would log on each night after Sports Center to connect with voters? It would be his staff and it would be obvious it wasn't him. And, I don't think a blog does his campaign any good anyways. He'll have the obligatory website, but I'd be surprised if he has anything really substantial. I would expect just generic position statements/papers and not much else - other than how to volunteer or donate to his campaign. Think about it, if you were Hatch would you doing anything more?

8/01/2005 11:43:00 AM  
Blogger Charley Foster said...

It probably wouldn't even be a staffer. He'd probably use a paid consultant.

8/01/2005 12:53:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gordon Jones spells it out at UtahPolitics.org 'Do the Math.' The numbers spell out that fact that Steve has little to no chance. I've said before (although I'm anonymous - I know I'm a wuss) that Hatch is still good for Utah and I'll vote for him at convention.

8/01/2005 02:34:00 PM  
Blogger Ethan said...

I sometimes like to pretend that the "anonymous" commenters are celebrities.

8/01/2005 02:44:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its me Pat Sajak! A celebrity anonymous poster! De fapt este Eu - Frumosul. Are you ever going to email with life updates or what?

8/01/2005 02:59:00 PM  
Blogger steve u. said...

anonymous said,

I'm voting for Urquhart. I understand he likes puppies and sunsets.

(Actually, I do know my photo will pop up beside this, since I'm logged in. But what the heck; puppies and sunsets are important.)

8/02/2005 11:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home