Friday, April 15, 2005

NCLB, Utah, and Racism

Ted McDonough at City Weekly served up an analysis of why Utah is objecting to NCLB. His primary source, Michael Clara, spins an interesting theory of racism. McDonough quoted Clara who quoted an unnamed school principal as saying, "They are illegals. We shouldn’t be required to educate them". Juicy quote, and believable. But third hand anonymous quotes don't bring a lot of integrity into your story. McDonough's other two sources are better. State Representative Duane Bourdeaux said “There is a perception out there, talking to different people, that these [minority] kids are not capable”. Gonzalo Palza, member of Governor Huntsman's Hispanic Advisory Committee, said “It’s creating a generation of functionally illiterate for the future. That has to have an economic impact on the state. Sooner or later, it affects everybody”. For another (credible and worthwhile) point of view on this issue, State Rep. Steve Urquhart has an interesting discussion going.

1 Comments:

Anonymous "peachtree city" said...

Life's Reflections

1. I'm not into working out. My philosophy is no pain, no pain.
2. I'm in shape. Round is a shape.

3. Ever notice when you blow in a dog's face he gets mad at you, but when you take him in a car he sticks his head out the window?

4. Ever notice that anyone driving slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?

5. You have to stay in shape. My mother started walking five miles a day when she was 60. She's 97 now and we have no idea where she is.

6. I have six locks on my door, all in a row. When I go out, I lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three of them.

7. Ask people why they have deer heads on their walls and they tell you it's because they're such beautiful animals. I think my wife is beautiful, but I only have photographs of her on the wall.

8. I've always wanted to be somebody, but I should have been more specific.

12/02/2005 07:03:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home