Friday, March 11, 2005

Dave Hansen, The Best There Is?

This bizarre Dave Hansen quote is making the rounds. “I just hope Congressman (Jim) Matheson takes a look at this and gets the idea that staying in the House where he will most likely be re-elected is much preferable to running against a ‘sure winner’ and ending his political career.” You can see the quote and LaVarr Webb's comments on it at utahpolicy.com. The Third Avenue has some more commentary on it. I'd like to echo the current online commentary and wonder aloud if Dave Hansen might have made a stupid joke that everyone is taking seriously. In August, LaVarr Webb said Hansen was probably the most experience Republican operative in the state. But if Hansen is so experienced, why did he send a threatening messages to Matheson through the press when Hatch is such a sure thing? What about the long, long, long odds of Matheson even joining the race?

2 Comments:

Blogger Reach Upward said...

I thought the same thing when I read Dave Hansen's quote. Why the threat? Having been a sometime Orrin supporter, I have to say that I really think he ought to give it up and let someone else have a chance. Just about all of his 1976 campaign arguments against Frank Moss can now apply to himself. I guess he at least isn't making the Jim Hansen mistake of retiring and running for a different office. I wonder how many other Utahans think like me? Maybe Matheson has a better chance than "conventional wisdom" implies.

3/14/2005 09:29:00 AM  
Blogger Ethan said...

That's a good point about Frank Moss' and Orrin Hatch's shared vulnerabilities. I'd be interested to know what Senator Hatch thinks about Hansen's statement or what he thinks about his campaign manager tossing that to the press.

3/14/2005 02:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home